Saturday, November 9, 2013

Friday Box Office Report: "Thor: The Dark World" Opens Huge with $31 Million Friday...

Overall box office should be in line with this same weekend last year...I apologize for no predictions post this week, I've had an extremely busy week....

Thor: The Dark World proved to be huge, though for some reason, probably won't hit the high benchmarks buzz and analysts had projected.  Still though, the film earned a massive estimated $31.6 million on Friday, which is a solid improvement over the first Thor's $25.5 million Friday, though to be fair, that was at the beginning of the Summer movie season 2011.  Dark World received good reviews and an "A-" CinemaScore, and should be able to eke out $85 million for the weekend.  I saw it yesterday, and thought it was a very entertaining film (review coming soon!).

There will be a three-way race for second between Last Vegas, Bad Grandpa and Free Birds, which all are holding well and will earn around $11 million apiece this weekend.  I'm giving the edge to the animated comedy due to Veteran's Day on Monday, with Vegas and Grandpa following closely.  Ender's Game, on the other hand, plummeted and will likely just earn over $10 million for the frame, a similar drop earlier this year's notorious bomb Jack the Giant Slayer had.

Weekend estimates coming tomorrow....